Introducing the next NextGen
In 2009, it was an exciting time to be working with NextGen Healthcare; the leading health IT provider was experiencing a period of solid growth, and was also in the midst of a leadership change with a new CEO. These internal changes came at the same critical time as changes were occurring in Washington. The American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA) mandated that all physicians and health systems nationwide invest in electronic health records by 2014.
With so many positive changes occurring for NextGen, they enlisted the expertise of DDCworks to freshen and relaunch their brand in order to keep pace with their growth and leadership position in the health IT marketplace.
DDCworks began working with NextGen Healthcare on an initiative to re-launch their corporate identity and reinvigorate their image in the marketplace. The agency conducted a thorough series of interviews with key constituents to assess their collective needs and vision for the brand, and determine the company's spirit and personality. By taking those insights and continuing to apply our Focused Branding discipline, DDCworks and NextGen forged a new communications strategy that more effectively spoke to the company’s competitive advantages and emotional benefits.
The result was a new identity and branding campaign that was enthusiastically embraced by the organization, and quickly rolled out into national print, online and direct response initiatives. The NextGen website was overhauled to align with not only the brand’s new look, but also its personality. We also drove updates to collateral and sales materials, as well as the design of a new exhibitor’s booth for major trade events.
DDCworks simultaneously engaged in a public relations campaign that centered around a content strategy targeting physicians and health systems, and correlating media, to help those audiences better understand the ARRA legislative mandate to adopt electronic health records. With so much confusion around the initial legislation, NextGen's team of experts were relied upon to bring the latest ARRA news and guidance to physicians. DDCworks facilitated this information delivery by:
- Securing several national and regional interviews/media stories
- Creating a successful video blog series directed at physicians
- Securing guest blog opportunities for NextGen's experts on several high profile industry blogs
- Writing and producing a whitepaper for NextGen's current and prospective customer base
Each of these PR elements further established NextGen's experts as thought leaders in the field of electronic health records, and reinforced the revitalized brand's leadership status in the industry.
NextGen Healthcare's revived branding, along with the supporting advertising, direct response and PR campaign have delivered on the company’s revived image with clear results:
- Website traffic, the key call-to-action in the brand advertising, was up 50% from the previous period.
- National media began to pay closer attention to NextGen as a leadership voice in the Health IT industry. In the first nine months of the campaign, NextGen was featured in eleven national print articles, including in the Wall Street Journal (this doesn’t even include trade activity).
- Over the first three months of the branding campaign, NextGen posted record revenue of $61.5 million — a whopping +40% increase over the same period in 2007. Operating income also hit record levels, up 40% when compared with the same quarter in the prior year.
- Since the new brand’s launch, NextGen’s parent stock has risen almost 55%, from $35.22 to $54.43 per share.